Jack Clancy is an experienced teacher, manager, world traveler, life-long learner, musician, chess player, and is obsessed with toasted sandwiches.
His current project: Continuing to make personal change in his health, wealth, skill set and knowledge base. He hopes to inspire others through his actions.
Jack created Fat, Broke and Stupid in 2019 as a way to promote positive, personal change in himself and in others.
“Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions.”–Credited to Mark Twain
Been there, done that!
I’ve been fat, broke and stupid to varying degrees throughout my life. It’s been… unpleasant.
- I used to weigh 296 lbs. (134.5 kgs.).
- I lost over 100 lbs. (45.5 kgs.) and kept it off for 9 years.
- I had $0.00 saved for retirement until November 2018.
- Until recently, I felt intimidated by money.
- Investing is a relatively new concept to me.
- I am not a home owner; I rent.
- I can’t afford a car; I walk everywhere.
- I feel overwhelmed by how much I don’t know.
- My favorite jokes: stupid ones!
- I smoke cigarettes.
Perhaps you have felt this way, too?
More About Jack Clancy
Now you know a little bit about my fat, broke and stupid history. Here are some more tidbits about me and my fat, broke and stupid world:
My Nickname: Cheddar. It was given to me by my rugby team at university. It has kinda stuck.
Favorite Exercise: Dead-lifts
Favorite Form of Cardio: Rowing or swimming (Does lifting weights faster count?)
Least Favorite Exercise: Jogging and/or running. It just hurts all over. But because I dislike it so much, I feel compelled to push myself and run a marathon. We shall see if it happens.
Favorite Food: Beans! That’s right. An uncommon choice I am told, but they are just so delicious.
Favorite Guilty Pleasure Food: A dish I occasionally create which I call the Cheddar Jack Chili in a Bread Bowl. It usually includes, but is not limited to:
- a nice bread roll
- heaps of butter
- ground beef
- bacon or sausage
- hot sauce
Fitness Goals: Dead-lift 500 lbs., have a visible six-pack, maintain my weight at 185 lbs. or less.
Financial Goals: Here are the most important ones:
- Have a lifestyle where my income is earned passively, not actively.
- Continue to invest 10% of my income each month.
- Achieve a net worth of more than $1,000,000!
One of these is currently happening. The others, not so much.
Favorite Book about Money: The Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam. This is the book that first introduced me to the world of investing. It’s as powerful today as it was when I first read it.
Things I Would Like to Learn More About: Literally everything! Some topics which immediately come to mind are:
- Website Design
- Internet Marketing and SEO
- Video Editing
- Behavioral Psychology
- Fantasy Baseball Strategy
Things I Know Surprisingly Little About: Also, literally everything! The worst offenders include:
- Politics (national and global)
- Current events in general
- Music made after 1989
- Sports other than baseball
Favorite Fiction Book: Currently, it is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It was a total page-turner.
Favorite Musical Instruments: Bass and Mandolin
Favorite Color: Purple!
Most Amazing Place I have Visited: Antarctica! It was other-worldly.
My Bucket List
- Win my Fantasy Baseball Keeper League: (Accomplished in 2019! FINALLY!)
- Visit all 7 continents: Six down, only Africa to go!
- Visit all 7 modern wonders of the world: So far, I have seen the Great Wall of China, the Christ the Redeemer Statue, and Machu Picchu. Three down, four to go.
- Become a polyglot (fluent in 6 languages): I have English and Spanish down. Four more to go.
- Have a visible 6-pack: Working on it.
- Run a marathon: Not even close.
- Write and publish a book: Technically I have written two books, but those were informational textbooks. I would like to write something in the world of personal development and/or dystonian fantasy.